Breakfast is my most favorite meal of the day, especially on weekends. As with all my cooking, I hate making anything that takes a long time and/or requires 5 different pots or pans.
No thank you.
This dish is the anti-thesis to all of that. It’s all made in one cast iron skillet…and a small saucepan if you opt for gravy. It’s simple, delicious, filling and QUICK. You can have this from kitchen to table in under half an hour.
I made this for Sunday breakfast, and then we ate the leftovers for Sunday lunch. This dish is perfect for brunch or breakfast, or heck, why not dinner? You likely have most of the ingredients on hand.
I use a cast iron skillet for this recipe because I am obsessed with the great crust and flavors that develop when cooking with cast iron. If you don’t have one, and don’t want to buy one, a 9x13 Pyrex dish will work, too.
Rustic Cast Iron Breakfast
- 1 can of jumbo buttermilk biscuits (8 count)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 6 strips of cooked bacon
- 1 tsbp butter
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cook up 6 strips of bacon and drain excess fat onto paper towel. In a bowl, whisk together salt, pepper, milk and eggs until well mixed. Crumble the 6 strips of bacon into bite sized pieces and toss into egg mixture.
- Open can of biscuits and form a crust on bottom of greased cast iron pan. Pour egg/bacon mixture over the biscuits and bake for about 15-17 minutes.
- Cut into 4-6 servings using a pizza cutter and enjoy!
Melt butter in small saucepan, add in flour to make a roux, then mix in milk. Bring up to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat, add in cheese until melted, and add in salt and pepper to taste.
I like my country gravy with a lot of pepper—I probably used 2 tbsp worth. The gruyere cheese adds a smoky flavor, but feel free to omit it or add in your fave cheese.
The gravy adds a salty, decadent touch. Plus, who doesn’t like biscuits and gravy…WITH BACON?!
It’s kind of funny how this totally does look like a pizza! The biscuits puff up and form a crust that is reminiscent of a pan pizza crust. Nom nom nom.
You can really get creative with this recipe and use turkey bacon, or use pepperoni, or add in veggies like spinach and tomatoes. The possibilities are endless. This recipe is sure to please even the pickiest eaters, and I think it’d be fun for kiddos to eat.
What are your favorite Sunday morning foods?